Wednesday, April 16, 2014

International youth peace walking



 I have written this essay looking back on the international youth peace walking event I took part in. It was held in May last year,  Seoul. I can't forget the passion, enthusiasm that day. 

I was surprised that about 20,000 young people from 130 countries came to participate in this event in Seoul Olympic Stadium. Because I never thought that this kind of event was held in Korea. 

Even though they were different in race and nation, they walked together without distinction as to race hoping peace to come. That movement made me touched. I participated in that event with my Taiwanese friend who I met in Philippines. As he was travelling around Korea. Each continent's traditional dance was performed along the walking section. Especially, Oceanian Maori tribal dance was impressed on my memory the most. The dance was emphasized with their own traditional peculiarity.

Many people tried to settle various district disputes and end the war. But they have not been solved yet.
At this moment, the fact that many people have died through wars, breaks my heart so terribly.
As one of the ones that live in this era, I hope especially that North and South Korea unify with sincere hearts and peace. When the peace walk was held, the representative of the Youth Peace Group , Man Hee Lee announced the Peace  Declaration; I got tears in my eyes remembering those who were victims in the Korean War and the pictures related it. I remember that he appealed sincerely that we work together for peace, and I asked a man next to me who he was, and he answered that he was the advocate of peace.
 I have never seen anyone like him who has traveled all over the world to see various men like presidents and leaders of religion as well as other representatives advocates of peace. I have seen many people who work for peace, but it is the first time in my life to see him and I am so proud that he is Korean. I will ask him what his next plans for peace are if I have a chance to see him face to face.

1 comment: